2020 Mainstage Opera Presents
Verdi’s La Traviata
June 21 – August 7, 2020
A 6-week opportunity to gain role experience in a fully staged production in original language with performances in two venues: Historic Bay View’s John M. Hall Auditorium and the Great Lakes Performing Arts Center.
Vocal study at the Bay View Music Festival is designed to provide singers the opportunity to immerse themselves in the study of vocal technique, operatic, art song, role preparation, stage presentation, acting technique and skills necessary to building a career in the arts (networking, resumes, taxes, grant writing, etc).
The Mainstage Opera program is our most comprehensive course of study. Upon completion of auditions, up to 12 singers (most are double cast) will be accepted and cast in La Traviata. The program begins with arrivals on June 21.
Students interested in the 6-week opera mainstage program receive training in our flagship opportunity for those interested in gaining mainstage experience in a fully-staged opera in original language. Fees are all-inclusive, so additional expenses are minimal while at Bay View. Courses may include:
- A role in the mainstage opera production
- Weekly voice lessons
- Coachings with Conductor/Repetiteur as needed
- Thriving in the Arts seminars on real life skills for a career in music
- Performance Practice Class for Singers (Art song literature and performance)
- Classes may include Acting & Feldenkrais, plus workshops in stage combat (as needed)
- Weekly performance opportunities in recitals
- Outreach recitals in surrounding communities
- Audition workshops
- Resume review, etc. to create the best package possible for auditions
- Participation in festival choir as section leader on Thur. and Sun. nights with solo opportunities
- Students will be cast in ensemble for community musical theatre production featuring other collegiate singers in the principle roles.
- Jazz/cabaret concert opportunities (optional, not obligatory)
Combine Vocal Programs to Enhance Your Experience
In order to accommodate the many experience levels and financial challenges of today’s young artists, we offer four different opportunities that can either be combined for one great 8-week experience, or a la carte. The program begins with arrivals on June 21. After performing in the musical July 9-11, students will then produce four performances of La Traviata, departing on August 7 after the opera closes. Dates below incl. arrival and departure date.
- Summer Opera, Art Song, and Recording Seminar (SOARS): Arrive Fri. June 5, Depart Sun. June 21, 2020
- MUSICAL THEATRE (Beauty and the Beast): Arrive Fri. June 19, Depart Sun. July 12, 2020
- OPERA MAINSTAGE (Verdi’s La Traviata): Arrive Sun. June 21, Depart Fri. August 7, 2020
- AMERICAN SPIRITUALS INTENSIVE: Arrive Fri. August 7, Depart Mon. August 17, 2020
For general questions, please contact Chris Ludwa at (231) 225-8877 or email@example.com. For more specific questions about this program, please contact Voice Chair Risa Renae Harman at firstname.lastname@example.org.