Vocal Collaborative Piano
MAINSTAGE PROGRAM (LA BOHEME AND SOUND OF MUSIC)
3 Piano Fellowships Available
Arrive Sun. June 27, Depart Fri. August 5, 2022
La Boheme performances: July 27, 28 and August 2, 3, 2022
Sound of Music performances: July 14, 15, 16, 2022
Pianists may apply for both SOARS and the Main Stage Program
FULL & PARTIAL FELLOWSHIPS
Avilable by audition and phone interview. A full fellowship would cover the cost of tuition, room and board. Housing is provided to all festival students. Piano fellows are responsible for all travel expenses to and from Bay View. Some opportunities exist for earning extra income during the summer while at Bay View through employment at local churches, teaching community piano lessons and freelance work.
Opera: A rotation of two Piano Fellows will play opera rehearsals and serve as repetiteurs for the opera. Fellows will not be expected to coach singers, but will have opportunities to coach if mutually desired between vocalists and pianists.
Musical: Piano fellows will play keyboard in the pit orchestra of the musical. One pianist may have an opportunity to serve as rehearsal pianist for the musical. Stipend available if pianist meets conditions.
Art Song: Main Stage vocalists and piano fellows will participate in Art Song Classes (masterclass format) culminating in a group recital. Repertoire is pre-assigned by June 1, 2022.
Concerts/Performances: Additional participation in select Festival Concerts and weekly optional student recitals as assigned or requested.
Opportunities to play instrumental chamber music may be available according to interest and scheduling logistics with the instrumental program.
- Weekly collaborative piano seminar for pianists only covering topics relevant to the field
- Up to 6 hours of individual lesson time on repertoire of your choice
- Piano fellows will accompany up to 5 singers/week for 30 min. of their weekly voice lesson with Bay View Vocal faculty
Tuition and Scholarship
MAINSTAGE APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Current resumé
- Repertoire list (solo and vocal rep required, instrumental or chamber music optional)
- Provide a brief summary of your collaborative piano and coaching experience and state what you hope to gain from attending the Bay View Music Festival.
- All piano auditions require submission of recordings. Video is preferred but audio will be accepted.
Submit recordings (YouTube links or other electronic delivery) of the following:
MAINSTAGE AND SOARS AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
- One aria of your choosing
- Two art songs in any language
- One selection of music theater, jazz, or American Songbook
Please feel free to contact Dr. Robards at any time to make sure your materials were received or if you have any questions about the program before applying. For primary consideration, submit application materials before January 31, 2022. Application submission or inquiries about the availability of piano fellowships are welcome until May 1, 2022.
For general questions about the program, please contact Artistic Director Chris Ludwa at (231) 225-8877 or email@example.com. If you have specific questions about this seminar, please contact Casey Robards at firstname.lastname@example.org.